So I turned 29 yesterday (where did my twenties go?!) and thought to make a list of 29 crucial life lessons that I have learned so far. Without further ado, here they are:
1. Don’t let anyone define your self-worth on the basis of what you do for a living. You are not your job.
2. It’s not about time. It’s about will.
3. You can only fix your problems if you admit to having them.
4. Knowledge can come from any source.
5. It is better to be frugally free than richly enslaved. Chasing materialism is like going down a dark alley that never ends.
6. Trust your instincts. Listen to your inner voice. It will save you more often than not. You will notice this yourself, if not now, then sometime in the future.
7. You can’t change toxic people but toxic people can change you.
8. There’ll always be greener pastures. Learn to be content with what you have – even while pursuing something you have always wanted.
9. Everything is different in retrospect.
10. Make self-care your top priority.
11. There is no true joy in fixating on money and all that it can buy.
12. Harsh words can ruin ANY relationship.
13. Live in the present.
14. Pursue what you want now. Postponing your dreams is a grave blunder as you may never get a chance to do so again.
15. At the end of the day, both success and failure are overrated. Having a good head on your shoulders is what ultimately matters.
16. Be grateful. Things can always get worse.
17. Relationships aren’t transactional. But they do need work.
18. Ask for help when you need it.
19. Know yourself before it’s too late.
20. Solace is uncomfortable only if you mindlessly follow the herd, for that’s when the mind raises existential questions which you cannot bear to answer.
21. Everyone will let you down at some point. It is up to you to either forgive or forget.
22. Give people a second chance. Also, snap judgments can be misleading.
23. The past is no place to live in.
24. Rash decisions lead to regrets. Have a good reason for why you do what you do.
25. Life will often not go the way you planned it. Deal with it. Get help when you can’t.
26. There is only one person who is going to be with you every second of the day. Make that person your first priority. That person is YOU.
27. Life begins at the age you want it to. Not 25, not 30, not 40.
28. Happiness is a temporary emotion, not a permanent state of mind. This applies to all emotions and situations, by the way. Nothing is permanent, nothing is set in stone, nothing is guaranteed.
29. Believe in something bigger than yourself to live a meaningful life.
How old are you and which life lessons have you learned so far? Let me know in the comments below.